Piper Companies is currently looking for an Analytical Staff Scientist in Devens, MA to join global leader in sustainable technologies specializing in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology.
Responsible for the development, validation, qualification, and implementation of analytical test methods in support of process research, discovery research, GMP production, and stability testing with particular emphasis on HPLC, GC, and LC-MS methods. Provide advice, guidance, and direction to junior chemists and scientists on technical and project management issues for one or more analytical development projects. Performs support functions such as sample analysis, analytical method development, validation, and qualification.
Responsibilities of the Analytical Staff Scientist include:
- Develops analytical procedures.
- Prepares validation and qualification protocol.
- Performs method validation and qualification.
- Analyzes research and productions samples.
- Prepares scientific reports and documents, presents analytical findings to teams and clients, and uses scientific literature to solve advanced technical problems.
- Prepares and reviews SOPs, test methods, scientific reports and other GMP/regulatory documentation.
- Reviews data generated by other analysts.
- Independently applies scientific knowledge (both theoretical and practical) for the resolution of analytical chemistry problems.
- Mentors junior chemist and scientist and acts as an analytical chemistry resource
- Participate in project management activities including: creating and meeting objectives for timelines, budgets, and project goals.
- Troubleshoots analyses and performs investigations.
- Assists with scientific/project proposals.
- Contributes to the technical growth of the department and company.
- Interacts with internal and external clients.
- Manages staff in full compliance with cGMP requirements.
- Responsible for departmental audit readiness and for participating in quality audits with FDA and customers.
- Manages compliance with state and federal regulations, including but not limited to GMP, DEA, and FDA.
- Demonstrates technical expertise and self-assuredness in applying cGMP standards.
- Addresses staff issues accordingly if there are EH&S violations.
- Actively participates in root cause investigations on near misses and all incidents. Once identified, ensures corrective actions take place and compliance with Company policies and procedures, and all state and federal regulations occurs within the responsible department.
- Manages compliance with state and federal regulations, including but not limited to EPA, DEP, and OSHA, etc.
- Implements, applies and places emphasis on EH&S concepts with department specific responsibilities.
- Demonstrated technical and procedural expertise and self-assuredness in applying EH&S policies and procedures.
- Support environmental health & safety by applying ISO 14001 and Sustainability 2025 principals into daily activities.
Qualifications for the Analytical Staff Scientist:
- PhD in Analytical Chemistry or equivalent with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a GMP environment.
- MS in Analytical Chemistry or equivalent with a minimum of 6 years’ experience in a GMP environment.
- BS in Analytical Chemistry or equivalent with a minimum of 8 years’ experience in a GMP environment.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in method development and validation for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs).
- Experience with Process Development of APIs.
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with HPLC, GC, LC-MS, GC-MS, IC, spectroscopy, and wet chemicals.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret English-language chemical periodicals, scientific journals, and regulatory documents.
- Ability to write clear and concise technical reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to lead projects and provide direction to various levels of BS analytical Chemists and Scientists.
- Effective communication with clients.
- Experience mentoring staff members in an analytical department.
Compensation for the Analytical Staff Scientist position includes:
- $120,000-$130,000 salaried EE
- Full Benefits: Healthcare, Dental, Vision, 90% premium covered via company
- 401k company contribution
- 23 days PTO